Last weekend, a friend from church mentioned that she has been checking our blog and that I hadn't posted in almost a full year. This is true...and as I thought about her comment, I realized that it is important for me to continue to update people of how things are going, even if we don't have any news to report. Right now, I don't have many hours at work, so I have dreams of how often I'll try and update this blog...I hope to continue with that even when I go back to many more work hours. We'll see...
So, as I said above, nothing has happened with our adoption. I know that this is a difficult thing for some people to understand, especially if they aren't aware of how the process works, but that is truly what has happened. We continue to have home study monitoring done every six months, we continue to meet with our adoption support group monthly, and we continue to have good and bad days of waiting. The last several months have been very trying for me personally. I think because we have hit our "waiting for a year" anniversary. In July 2010, we had our foster care license for a year. In October 2010, we had been in the "system" for a year.
But God, of course, uses times of anxiety, worry or even our own pity parties, to help us grow closer to Him. Currently, Derrick and I are going through a book about joy. Joy is something I haven't felt compelled to feel for awhile, so this is a good thing for me to study. As I read a chapter the other day, the author mentioned that it is a good thing to memorize scripture that you can call to your mind when you are struggling. While the example in the book had nothing to do with what I'm struggling with, I felt led to do the same for myself. So, while I am a terrible memorizer, I decided to memorize Philippians 4:6-7
"Do not be anxious about ANYTHING, but in EVERYTHING, by PRAYER and PETITION, with THANKSGIVING, present your requests to God. And the PEACE of God, which TRANSCENDS ALL UNDERSTANDING, will GUARD your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."
I am so thankful that I memorized this part of scripture, because the next day I DID bring it to mind many, many times. I thank God for His peace that WILL guard my heart and mind!
Thanks for the post Corey! I understand how it can be frustrating when you feel like there is nothing to report. Matt and I felt like that while waiting over three years for our papers for Canada! It seemed like everyone asked about it and all we could say was 'We are just waiting'. I am sure that God knows the exact perfect time :)
ReplyDeleteI think of you and Derek so often as I too wonder how the adoption process is working. I pray that just the right time will happen, so that it will be YOUR special time and all part of God's great plan.
ReplyDeleteI will keep you and Derek in my prayers.
Much love,
Diane
Thank you for sharing Corey. I've been thinking of you two ALOT lately. All of your family is anxiously awaiting that phone call and will rejoice with you when it comes! We love you both so much!
ReplyDeleteLove, Mom
Thank you so much for this update, Corey. I've been wondering how this journey is for you. I pray that you get matched with a baby soon, and that you have joy in the meantime. That baby is going to be SO LUCKY to have you as a mama!!!!
ReplyDelete