When it comes to adopting, there isn't much you have CONTROL over. We are told what meetings are mandatory, what paperwork is mandatory and what money is mandatory in order to continue to be in an adoption program. Every six months, our social worker comes to our house and inspects it to make sure it is still safe for a child to dwell. I have CONTROL over cleaning my house from top to bottom before she comes...but that's about all. We have completed mounds of paperwork in order to be accepted into our program and then we continue to turn in more paperwork to show that we are still making an effort to be a good parent some day. We attend a monthly support group to talk about adoption issues.
Our social worker says we are so good at being on top of our paperwork...re-photocopying our car insurance card every six months for our file, re-submitting Zoe's health records to show she is up to date on her shots and such, turning in copies of training to our agency and to the state....etc. Every time she tells us that (she has on multiple occasions) I tell her...."Well, that's the only thing that I have CONTROL over."
Yesterday, we received an email from our social worker saying that she is missing some things in our file. Things that should have been there in order for us to go into circulation....we've been in circulation for 19 months and we are now finding out there is missing paperwork! Ugggghhhh! See what I mean about CONTROL? I thought that I at least had CONTROL over my paperwork.
So, after overreacting to this news....and taking some time to think about things, I am reminded (again), that the creator of the universe is in CONTROL. God has His eyes on a birthmother and birthfather that will be the perfect match for our situation. He knows which little boy or girl He wants to be raised by us. He probably doesn't even really care about paperwork!
So now, as we enter month 20 of our wait...I am reminded that God is in CONTROL, not me.
2 Chronicles 20:17 (NLT)
"But you will not even need to fight. Take your positions; then stand still and watch the Lord’s victory. He is with you, O people of Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid or discouraged. Go out against them tomorrow, for the Lord is with you!”
prayers and blessings, Corey! I hope that things progress quickly! xoxo
ReplyDelete