Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Still Learning

So this week, Derrick and I headed up to Oshkosh, Wisconsin for our fourth year of Lifest together! This is a wonderful Christian music festival that I attended for the first time with my sister and a friend in the late 90's.  Then, it was just getting it's start and rather small...but now it caters to 18,000 people during the five days every July.  The reason why Derrick and I like going so much is because we get to hear a lot of different speakers and artists talk about their faith and lesson they've learned from God through their ministry.

As usual, this year, I felt like there were several things God was trying to tell me through the speakers/artists.  I was reminded to be faithful with where I am right now.  This is where God wants me now...I must not be so focused on the future that I don't do what He wants me to do now.  I also heard Him tell me to not be so worried about my weaknesses...because in my weakness, He is made stronger.  If He calls me to do something, even if I don't think I have the tools to obey, I must obey. 

I also learned the "stories" behind two songs that have become dear to me in my adoption wait.  One, by JJ Heller is called "Your Hands."  JJ shared about writing this song after going through a difficult time in her life.  Sometimes, we don't understand why we have to go through difficult times, but ultimately, God knows what is on the other side...He knows best! Below are some of the lyrics to this song.

I have unanswered prayers
I have trouble I wish wasn't there
And I have asked a thousand ways
That You would take my pain away
That You would take my pain away

I am trying to understand

How to walk this weary land
Make straight the paths that crookedly lie
Oh Lord, before these feet of mine
Oh Lord, before these feet of mine

When my world is shaking

Heaven stands
When my heart is breaking
I never leave Your hands
Derrick and I also saw Laura Story at a 11 p.m. concert one night.  She is truly an amazing woman...it was wonderful to be able to see her heart.  Recently, I heard the song "Blessings" on the radio one night.  I, of course, now have it downloaded on my ipod.  It also speaks to the "why" of difficult times.  Hearing why Laura wrote the song brings perspective to my own life. Below are some of the lyrics to her song. 
We pray for blessings, we pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering

All the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love us way too much to give us lesser things

Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops?
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near?
 God is still speaking...we must take the time to listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment